There are four main areas of Design and Technology: Investigate, Design, Make and Evaluate.
Each unit will consist of these steps to completion:
1) Design brief - what is it that the children will be doing?
2) Investigate and research into existing products
3) Design various products
4) Choose the design they will make
5) Focused practical tasks, guided by the teacher
6) Make the product
7) Evaluate the product, including quality of finish.
The children will work in design sketchpads, which show their learning journey throughout the unit. There should be cross-curricular links where appropriate; maths skills such as measure and instructional writing.
This is a good example of what a sketchbook may look like: